Specialised Learning Program – Autism – Expressions of Interest Open for Kindergarten to Year 6 for 2023
We are currently taking Expressions of Interest for students starting kindergarten in 2023 or students wishing to become part of the program from Pre-Primary to Year 6 in 2023 . Please contact the school to speak with the Program Coordinator, Sara Leed for more information on 9591 6900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2019 Cooloongup Primary School became one of the public schools to host the Specialised Learning Program for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Primary). The program is for up to 25 students with Autism who do not have the competencies at the point of enrolment to participate successfully full-time in mainstream classrooms.
The goal of the SLP is to meet the individual needs of students through targeted evidence-based programs. With a focus on age-appropriate academic engagement, organisational skills, social thinking, peer relationships and self-regulation. Ultimately the program will enhance the students’ skills required for primary education and lead to a transition to full-time, successful, mainstream enrolment.
Students spend time in their ‘homeroom’ class with specialist support and some of their time in their mainstream class. They also participate in their mainstream class for assemblies, incursions and excursions, where appropriate. There are three multi-age ‘homeroom’ classes:
Early Childhood – Kindergarten and Pre-Primary
Junior – Year 1, 2 and 3
Senior – Year 4, 5 and 6
What are the eligibility criteria?
- Eligibility for enrolment in Western Australian public schools.
- Documented evidence of diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- No diagnosed intellectual disability.
- Documented evidence of significant social, emotional and/or self-regulation challenges directly attributed to the impact of the ASD.
- Independent self-management of personal care requirements.
How do I apply?
- Parents and schools may refer students for the specialised program. Referrals are made to the Program Coordinator by contacting Cooloongup Primary School on 9591 6900 or submitting an Expression of Interest Form.
- The Expression of Interest form provided to parents will deem if the student meets the eligibility criteria. (However, submitting an Expression of Interest does not guarantee that the student will be offered a place in the program.)
- Specialised Learning Program staff conduct observations, assessments and/or interviews of/with students and parents who are deemed to be suitable for the program.
- Parents are notified of the outcome of the Expression of Interest, and if successful, these students will be offered a place in the program.
Please note: submitting an Expression of Interest and/or meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee the student will be offered a place in the program.
If you require further information, please contact the Program Coordinator Sara Leed at Cooloongup Primary School on 9591 6900.
Forms & Fact Sheets
Click here for Expression of Interest Form
Click here for SLP ASD Information Flyer
Click here for SSEND_20200505_ASD_SLP_Flyer
Click here for SSEND_ASD_SLP_Parent_FAQ
Testimonies from Staff and Parents:
“Miss Leed, Mrs Smith and their team of EAs in the SLP ASD have worked so hard to create an incredibly supportive and nurturing environment, with an outstanding educational program to match.
“Jayden was accepted into the SLP program in 2021. He had been unable to manage mainstream education and had been suspended several times, this prevented him from reaching set education milestones. I strongly believe that since commencing in the SLP program and having teachers that are trained and specialise in children with autism has helped build up my child Jayden’s confidence and social skills. This has contributed to a vast improvement in his learning.
I feel that Jayden has thrived in this safe learning place. The program has also taught him how to self-regulate with those big emotions he feels and was not sure how to express. Not only have they helped my child, they have also helped me as a parent to regain trust in the education system. The coordinator, teacher and EA’s have gone above and beyond to work as a team giving Jayden the best chance of achieving his individual goals, that they set for him based on his needs and capabilities. Setting him up for future learning in mainstream education.
I strongly believe that without participating in this program Jayden would have continued to struggle throughout his entire education. I cannot thank the team enough.”
Tegan- Mum of SLP student